Villa O’Higgins to Puerto Tranquilo: Gravel

Patagonia, her greatest lesson is to remind or teach you not to take anything for granted. I'm beginning to feel like this is what I’m meant to take home with me. If you have 15 km of smooth dirt road, enjoy it, ride it, feel it, but don't expect it to continue. Don't expect anything, it's just a waste of emotional energy. She is teaching me to be grateful for the tiniest things, like a gentle undulating stretch. Sure the road maybe corrugated and there may be a slight headwind, but be Grateful the incline is only just so, or should the corrugation subside but the incline sweep to a ridiculous percentage, be thankful that it's not a steep (Ridiculously so) incline on a corrugated road with rocks everywhere, making it look like a quarry, with soft slanting edges and rain! 

There are times I feel If someone asked me what do the mountains, rivers and landscape look like, I could only tell them ‘gravel!!’ And this is perhaps the saddest part of the trip. Most of the time my head is down and I’m staring hard at the road in front of me, trying to choose the best line in the loose gravel and corrugation or head down fighting the wind. Gravel! Today we were graced with some smooth road and I think for maybe the second time this trip I felt at awe by the land. That's what I need more of to keep going on this trip, more connection, more moments of feeling completely immersed in the world around me. I guess I need to remember not to take those rare moments for granted and never expect them.  

Be xx

Gravel road #422

Gravel road #449 (with view)

Attire to spice up the gravel road

Luzmira’s campspot


Gravel road #501

Post Asado with Karin!! At Luzmira’s


Comments